For Seafarers

An industrial injury is an accident directly caused by your work or circumstances related to your work.

Industrial accident

An industrial accident is a physical or mental personal injury caused by an incident or exposure that occurs suddenly or within five days. Examples include injuring a finger in a capstan or falling on deck and breaking an arm.

Who is required to report a claim?

Your employer is responsible for reporting claims for industrial injuries to either UFDS or the Labour Market Insurance in Denmark.
If you are not a Danish citizen, the injury must also be reported to the Danish Maritime Authority.

The injury must be reported to UFDS or the Labour Market Insurance as quickly as possible and not later than five weeks after the injury occurred. Serious injuries must be reported within nine days of occurring.
If a claim is not reported as quickly as possible or within five weeks, there is a maximum time limit of one year within which the injury must be reported. This means the claim must be reported to UFDS or the Labour Market Insurance no later than one year after the injury occurred.
If a claim is made after the time limit, the Labour Market Insurance may decide to disregard the non-observance of the time limit if it is documented that you have sustained an industrial injury and there is a connection between the reported injury and your impaired condition, and that you are entitled to compensation, etc.

You can personally report your injury to UFDS or the Labour Market Insurance, or contact either of them to find out whether the injury has been reported.
Once an industrial injury has been reported, you will get a receipt from us. Keep an eye out for this receipt. If you have not received a receipt within one or two months, you should contact us.
If you are in doubt about whether your industrial injury has been reported, contact us. If your GP has reported your injury direct to the National Board of Industrial Injuries, you should contact them.


UFDS will process your case initially, but if we assess that your injury may have permanent consequences or result in permanent loss of earning capacity, we will forward your case to the Labour Market Insurance. You can also personally request to have your case sent to the Labour Market Insurance for processing.
The case processing time of the Labour Market Insurance is currently one to two years.

Dental injuries

UFDS covers dental injuries sustained as a result of your work or working conditions without other personal injury.
Dental injuries arising during a meal are in principle not covered.

Who is required to report dental injuries?

Your employer must report dental injuries to us.

Damage to glasses and other aids

The insurance covers damage to aids arising in connection with your work.
Aids include, for example, glasses, contact lenses, hearing aids and prostheses.
UFDS may pay compensation for glasses and other aids damaged or lost at work.

Who is required to report damage to glasses?

Your employer must report damage to glasses and other aids without personal injury to us.

Occupational diseases

An occupational disease is a disease caused by your work or working conditions. Diseases can be triggered by short- or long-term exposures, for example, eczema after several years of working with cleaning agents or other chemicals. UFDS does not provide insurance for occupational diseases. Occupational diseases are dealt with by the Labour Market Insurance, and any compensation is covered by the Danish Labour Market Occupational Diseases Fund.

Who is required to report an occupational disease?

Your GP (General Practitioner) or dentist has a duty to report presumed occupational diseases to the Labour Market Insurance as quickly as possible.

For Seafarers

Like to know more?

For Shipping Companies

Like to know more?

About UFDS

Like to know more?

The Danish Shipowners’ Accident Insurance Association (UFDS)